Gifts of a Different Variety

Christmas is by far my favorite holiday.  I could go on and on listing all of the things I love about Christmas and all of the happy memories that I have of Christmas growing up.  However, this year I have started to look at things a bit differently than I have before now.  In recent years, I have started thinking more of putting the emphasis on giving, just as Christ gave.  This is a great thing to do, I wasn't perfect at it, but it was a great experience nonetheless.  For some reason, this year has even been a little different than previous years.

As I think about Christmas this year, a verse comes to mind from 1st Nephi chapter 16.  In verse 8, Nephi says "And also, I, Nephi, had been blessed of the Lord exceedingly."  This verse makes me think that Nephi had done some reflection to see God's hand in his life.  It probably wasn't easy all the time to see the miracles and blessings in his life, but I'm sure he found them.

I have reflected lately on my own life.  I know that we often think of what we can give and what we want for Christmas and really, I don't think there is anything wrong with that at all.  However, gift giving has taken a new spin in my mind, as I have reflected lately.  I have looked for God's hand in my life more this semester than I probably ever have in the past.  However, in the past couple of weeks I have felt grateful for His hand in my life on a much deeper level.  I have realized again the incredible gifts that I have been given, not from Christmases past, but really the gifts in life that God has given me.  This semester I have really noticed the small every day miracles and tender mercies in my life, but I feel that I have failed to recognize the big miracles and tender mercies that have been given to me.

I have been given so much.  I am grateful for God and the Gospel and I talk about that every week, but I'm really grateful as well for the things that God has brought into my life.  One of the greatest blessings in life that God has given me has been the people that he has put in my life, both past and present and I'm sure there will be many great people in the future.  I hold these blessings dear and I hope that they know just how much they mean to me.  I can never thank God enough for the people He has put in my path and I can never thank them enough for all that they have done for me.

I do not know where I would be without my friends and my family.  I can only hope that they feel the same way about me.  I firmly believe that there are angels all around us and I am so grateful to also believe that some of them are those that I get to see or talk to every day.  I'm grateful for a loving God who loves me enough to bless me with more than I could ever deserve.  God has been so good to me.

I am grateful for the cause that we celebrate this time of year.  The baby who was born that would one day commit the single greatest act in the history and future of all mankind.  The baby who would make our purpose for existence possible.  He would heal the sick and make broken hearts whole, in his own time, and in our time as well.  My heart is full of gratitude for the Gospel and the One who made it possible.  I can also never express my love and gratitude to him and to all those who I can call my friends, they never cease to bless my life.  Thank you for all that you do, I hope that I can do the same for you!  Have a great Christmas season, may it be the best one so far!

Comments

Popular Posts