Daily Grace
One of my favorite hymns has always been "Come, Come, Ye Saints." The messages contained in this hymn are both inspiring and insightful. It is interesting to picture the pioneers singing this song among each other and think about what these words must have meant to them. I feel like the words in this hymn provide a powerful example of the mindset of the pioneers. The words that always stand out to me in this hymn are the first verse.
"Come, come, ye Saints, no toil nor labor fear;
But with joy wend your way.
Though hard to you this journey may appear,
Grace shall be as your day.
'Tis better far for us to strive
Our useless cares from us to drive;
Do this, and joy your hearts will swell--
All is well! All is well!"
It is no secret that the saints journey west was incredibly hard. It is this knowledge that makes some of the lines of this first verse so interesting to me. I love the lines "Though hard to you this journey may appear, grace shall be as your day. 'Tis better far for us to strive our useless cares from us to drive." Obviously these lines apply to the pioneers' situation, but I would like to compare it to ours.
I often think of this song as I go through hard times, no matter how hard those times actually may be. Let's break these lines down as they might apply in an every day situation. "Though hard to you this journey may appear, grace shall be as your day." Although your situation may seem tough at the time, Christ's grace will be given unto you day by day. "'Tis better far for us to strive our useless cares from us to drive." It is a good thing for us to go through difficult times because they help us decipher between what is truly important in life and what is not.
I have felt this throughout many times in my life, but this has been a lesson that I have particularly been learning during these last few years. My service on a mission definitely helped me to decipher between what is truly important and what is not, but sometimes it is hard to look back on the lessons from then because it was such a different scenario than life now.
I'll spare everyone the details of explaining again why it has been a crazy semester, but as it has gone on I have noticed how my life has become more focused on what is truly important and what matters. I have had more homework to do and I still have the day to day questions that life seems to throw at everyone, but I haven't been as stressed out. I have been able to keep a good perspective of what is most important and what really, truly matters in life. I know that I have many weaknesses and shortcomings, but I have felt grace in my life on a day to day basis. Jacob 4:7 states, "Nevertheless, the Lord God showeth us our weakness that we may know that it is by his grace, and his great condescensions unto the children of men, that we have power to do these things." I have felt this in my life and am eternally grateful for it. The Atonement is far greater than just the redemption of ours sins, I am grateful for the complete and infinite Atonement and the infinite amount of ways it can be applied into my life.
"Come, come, ye Saints, no toil nor labor fear;
But with joy wend your way.
Though hard to you this journey may appear,
Grace shall be as your day.
'Tis better far for us to strive
Our useless cares from us to drive;
Do this, and joy your hearts will swell--
All is well! All is well!"
It is no secret that the saints journey west was incredibly hard. It is this knowledge that makes some of the lines of this first verse so interesting to me. I love the lines "Though hard to you this journey may appear, grace shall be as your day. 'Tis better far for us to strive our useless cares from us to drive." Obviously these lines apply to the pioneers' situation, but I would like to compare it to ours.
I often think of this song as I go through hard times, no matter how hard those times actually may be. Let's break these lines down as they might apply in an every day situation. "Though hard to you this journey may appear, grace shall be as your day." Although your situation may seem tough at the time, Christ's grace will be given unto you day by day. "'Tis better far for us to strive our useless cares from us to drive." It is a good thing for us to go through difficult times because they help us decipher between what is truly important in life and what is not.I have felt this throughout many times in my life, but this has been a lesson that I have particularly been learning during these last few years. My service on a mission definitely helped me to decipher between what is truly important and what is not, but sometimes it is hard to look back on the lessons from then because it was such a different scenario than life now.
I'll spare everyone the details of explaining again why it has been a crazy semester, but as it has gone on I have noticed how my life has become more focused on what is truly important and what matters. I have had more homework to do and I still have the day to day questions that life seems to throw at everyone, but I haven't been as stressed out. I have been able to keep a good perspective of what is most important and what really, truly matters in life. I know that I have many weaknesses and shortcomings, but I have felt grace in my life on a day to day basis. Jacob 4:7 states, "Nevertheless, the Lord God showeth us our weakness that we may know that it is by his grace, and his great condescensions unto the children of men, that we have power to do these things." I have felt this in my life and am eternally grateful for it. The Atonement is far greater than just the redemption of ours sins, I am grateful for the complete and infinite Atonement and the infinite amount of ways it can be applied into my life.

Comments
Post a Comment