"Can Ye Feel So Now?"

It took me a while to figure out what to write about this week.  Eventually, I settled on one of my favorite verses in all of scripture.  This verse is Alma chapter 5, verse 26, it reads, "And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, if ye have experienced a change of heart, and if ye have felt to sing the song of redeeming love, I would ask, can ye feel so now?"

I've thought about this verse a lot throughout the past few years.  It's meaning hasn't become different to me, but it has become deeper on a lot of levels.  A change of heart is not something that happens once and is permanent.  A change of heart is something that must happen and be maintained every day.

A change of heart is something that you can feel, it is one thing to know the Gospel, but it is a different thing to live it and live it with meaning.  It should be something that means something to you, something that you can feel in your soul.  It is impossible to describe it until you feel it.  That feeling is something that needs to be maintained and nourished every day.  You have to live the Gospel and look for Christ, not just on Sunday, but every day.

I first experienced a change of heart years ago, but some days I still feel it more than others.  One beautiful about the Gospel is that it is personal to each of us.  There are universal things about the Gospel that we all must live, but our struggles and strengths are different than anyone else's, they are unique to us.  It is for that reasoning that Christ suffered for our pains and afflictions, so that he can know how to individually succor each of us, in the most personal way.  He knows because he went through it, he felt it, the same things that we go through, he went through, so that he understands and can help more than anyone else.

We must all strive to find those things in our day to day lives that keep us grounded to what is most important.  This semester, I made a goal of keeping a daily tender mercy journal.  I write down where I've seen the hand of God in my life that day.  I'm not as good at keeping the journal as I would like to be, but I have noticed a difference.  I have been really busy this semester, more busy than any semester so far and a lot of things have happened.  However, I have been able to see the little miracles in my life.  God really does love us.  He takes care of us.  He wants us to succeed.  I know that is true.

Comments

Popular Posts