What Really Matters

This week was a long one, but a good one, shouldn't they all be?  This week in my Book of Mormon class, we discussed Enos and his experience with prayer.  We talked about a lot of things regarding his experience, but my favorite part was when we discussed verses 3 and 4, they say:

"3 Behold, I went to hunt beasts in the forests; and the words which I had often heard my father speak concerning eternal life, and the joy of the saints, sunk deep into my heart.

 4 And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens."

We discussed a few things about these verses, but my professor shared a thought with us that really stood out to me.  He basically said how we often pray for the day to day objective things that we need, such as safety, getting everything done, watching over our families and friends and similar things, but we don't often ask for help in becoming like Christ.  I don't claim to be an expert on everyone else's prayers, but that thought sure hit me.

I often fall back on an eternal perspective as a comfort when difficult things happen in my life.  I think how not doing well on a test or just having a bad day in general won't matter when this mortal life is done and over, which is a good thing to take comfort in, but it shouldn't be the only time I keep an eternal perspective.  It shouldn't just be a comfort, but a motivation.  My day to day focus shouldn't just be my checklist of what I should get done, that checklist should simply be an add-on to the goal of "How can I be more like Christ today?"  Out of all of the goals that I have throughout my day, that would definitely be the most lofty and if I include God in my other goals, why do I not include Him on that one?  I can't imagine that he isn't invested in that goal.

In Mosiah, King Benjamin taught that no matter our efforts, we will always be unprofitable servants to God.  I don't believe that God looks at us as whether we are profitable or not to Him, but He looks at us as a perfect father looks upon their child.  No matter our mistakes or weaknesses, He always wants us to succeed and teaches and encourages us with love.  He simply expects us to try and as we ask for help, we can and will succeed.  We must always remember what is truly most important in life.

I am so grateful for a loving Father in Heaven and a loving Savior, that do all that they can to set us up for success.  They love us so much and want us to succeed.  We were not put on this earth to fail.  I am forever grateful for the opportunities and resources that we are given to come closer to God, for "this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent."  What a wonderful Gospel and what great news to spread to the world.

Comments

Popular Posts